Saturday, June 4, 2011

I NEED SOME HEAT- MY VERSION OF THE SAMBAL SHRIMP


I had been to Indonesia only once and that was to get treated to a nice day at the Banyan Tree  at the Bintan Island. And that is as far as my affinity to Indonesia goes.

I tried my hand  at making Sambal Shrimp, but realized quickly that I had to innovate given that my blender has stopped working for weeks now (making it impossible to make the Sambal paste). So here it is...

BLENDERLESS SAMBAL SHRIMP

Spice paste 1 tbsp ready-to-serve crispy red chilies
1 red onion, finely minced and pounded
2 tbsp bagoong

Sambal Sauce
3 tbsp cooking oil
250g shrimp (shelled and deveined)
1 cup water
1 tbsp tamarind paste (mixed with 1/2 cup water & strained)
2 dried kaffir lime leaves (crumbled)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp brown sugar

Mix all spice paste ingredients.

Heat up the oil and stir-fry the spice paste for a minute or so.

 Then, Add the shrimps and stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes.

Once the fragrance of the sambal pastes fills the room, add in the  water mixed with tamarind paste and bring  to a quick boil.

Add in salt, brown sugar & kaffir lime leaves. 





Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment