Wednesday, October 13, 2010

BICOL'S FAMOUS TIWI HALO-HALO

I love my halo-halo!


A few years back, when an office mate treated me to the simple yet creamy Halo-halo of Razon's  Pampanga we got to talking about our best experiences with this cool Pinoy dessert. Mine were the ones bought in Candon, Ilocos Sur where I spent part of my summer touring a  play for my college theater  group. Hers were those bought in Tiwi, Albay which her father,  who passed away when she was still a teenager, would treat her to after visiting Mayon Volcano.


So when I go the chance to visit Mayon Volcano, I made sure to make a pitstop at Tiwi. And there our driver cum tour guide brought us to DJC Halo-Halo.

It was a simple concoction of finely shaved ice, minatamis na saging saba (plantain bananas cooked in sugar syrup),  halayang ube (purple yam) and leche flan (milk and egg flan). The clincher to this mix was the shaved cheese which brought a very Filipino dimension (This fruit salad with cubed cheese) to the whole experience. Halo-halo, served Tiwi style is truly a reflection of the  Pinoy  palate where sweet meets salty.





1 comment:

  1. Great post on "BICOL'S FAMOUS TIWI HALO-HALO". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- icing course dubai | icing course in dubai

    ReplyDelete