Thursday, September 17, 2009

Maybe Mocha Banana Shake

I have recently found myself exercising.

Yes, it's the activity that involves moving the body around and sweating like a pig (which by the way is a misnomer because pigs don't have sweat glands). Motivated by my upwardly mobile waistline jumping from size 6 to a size 8, I brought out the running shoes and turned on the TV for an hour of stretching, bending, leg lifting and toe touching.
  
I turned on to music video channel No. 1 and landed on the appropriately-titled music video of Pedicab's dance-punk song Simulan Mo Na.
Click here Simulan Mo Nato watch the video


Then the program host went on. Her high-pitched voice and inane blabbing made my head spin as if I was jogging and smoking at the same time. So I switched on to music video channel No. 2. As much as I appreciate Mariah dissing Eminem for his ungentlemanly comments in her Obsessed video, she's just too much and so were the blonde teeny boppers whose video came out next. There were too many blondes and boobs on the screen.

So in between arm rolls and windmills, I channel surfed and caught the last gap of Nigella Lawson's old cooking show. The luscious fruit and cream dessert she was eating made my heart beat and my leg-raise repetition faster.

Then, the next program began- Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation- Spain! Ah, the motherland of all things fatty and salty! This may sound weird but the sight of chorizos, clams and cheeses just helped me sweat through 90 crunches and 90 butt lift reps. Whew!

For me, watching a good food show is motivation enough to keep the pounds off. That way  I can eat more and still fit into my (not so) skinny jeans.

Here's the link to the 5-part video of No Reservations Spain




The Maybe Mocha Banana is my version of a health shake. There's enough sugar and potassium in it to give you energy for a good work out and some caffeine to perk you up. It's got fresh fruit in it so doesn't actually score zero on the health score card (*wink).


MAYBE MOCHA BANANA

Ingredients:
4 pieces ripe latundan bananas
1 cup low-fat chocolate drink
1  cup all-purpose cream
1/2 bar dark chocolate  (approx. 75 grams)
1/4 teaspoon coffee granules (make sure it's strong-tasting coffee)
Ice

Peel and cut the bananas into 2 inch portions. Put the banana, low-fat chocolate drink and 1/2 cup of the all-purpose cream in the blender. Blend until the drink has a smooth consistency. Add the coffee granules and blend for 30 seconds. Add more low-fat chocolate drink, as desired.

Put some ice on a tall glass and pour the shake. Whip the all-purpose cream  lightly and slather on top. Grate some dark chocolate and add straw. Serves 3-4 persons.



No comments:

Post a Comment