Sunday, July 3, 2016

TRIED & TESTED: CLEAN PLATE

Organic menus are a rarity in the era of processed food. The Clean Plate by Twist is one of the few restaurants to offer GO-free, all-natural organic ingredients whilst supporting local farmers.  
The shabby chic interiors reflect the  healthy alternative that the Clean plate menu offers- comfort food made with ingredients consciously sourced and prepared. That last sentence might send you running away but it shouldn't. Organic food doesn't have to be bland and boring, as The Clean Plate tries to prove.

I tried the River Prawn Sinigang. The tamarind -based broth had the right Pinoy level of sourness and you could taste that they used fresh tamarind (not bouillons or powdered mix). Instead of kangkong, the dish had arugula for greens. I like the bitterness that the arugula brought to the dish. 

To see if it was any different, I tried the Bacon Lechon Kawali. It was a too bland for my taste. I like my fatty food saltier. It tasted like unsalted Bagnet lite. And as you can see, the serving was spare and small. I failed to ask if these were weighed for caloric counts. But surely, a heftier eater would probably be disappointed.


I guess organic food is a matter of getting used to. Though I can't imagine how one can enjoy unseasoned meat.  Maybe next time I'll try the breakfast bowls and grass-fed beef plates, they seem to promise more excitement for my palate.

The Clean Plate
Address: 2/F UP Town Center, Katipunan Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City
Telephone: 02 2770622

No comments:

Post a Comment