Sunday, September 25, 2016

TRIED & TASTED: HONEY JUICE WITH BASIL SEED

My curiosity drives me to try weird stuff. Anything unusual, I will probably dare to put in my mouth. So, when I saw this drink with amoeba-like floaters in it,  I simply had to try it.
The juice itself tasted like a couple of spoonfuls of honey diluted in water but as you drink it the gelatinous Basil seeds slide into your mouth. The seeds are a bit tangy like the flesh of lanzones. It's the texture that  makes this a certified interesting experience. The basil seeds are gooey like gelatin but once you bite there's a small crunch from the black parts of the seeds.

Basil seeds comes from the pods of the basil plant, also known as  the "king of herbs."
Photo courtesy of: Castielli
After harvesting, the seeds are harvested in water to make the gelatinous firm surrounding it plumper.
Photo courtesy of: howtogrowbasil.com
The seeds are said to be beneficial for the urinary tract and kidneys; and, is used in Asia as a medicine to treat diarrhea, decrease stress and improve the respiratory system. I don't know how true that is. But what I do know is that I have happily satisfied my curiosity and will definitely pick up a bottle or two of this drink next time I'm in the supermarket.

Would you dare to try it?





No comments:

Post a Comment